Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Gift Wrapped Bistro Buffet

In addition to using inexpensive engineer prints from Staples to decorate our venue, I had one other secret craft supply. Since I didn't have access to the Michael's craft closet, I used something inexpensive and easy to find in tons of different colors..... GIFT WRAP!

I bought two rolls of plain pink gift wrap and one roll of black polka dot gift wrap.

I started with this really ugly metal gate. It separates the kitchen from the reception space, necessary but not attractive.

It took two widths of wrapping paper and several tape loops to cover the gate. Before cutting the gift wrap, I was able to use the roll to measure the space. By the way, a roll of wrapping paper is almost the width of a standard door, so covering some of the extra doors that we didn't want guests going through, was also super easy.

Above is the window completely covered in pink gift wrap and below you can see the finished product with the Staples engineer print sign glued in place. Because each element was so easy and inexpensive, I planned on just throwing away the paper at the end of the party, so no worries about gluing it together.

The other gift wrap decoration that you can see at the buffet are wrapping paper pinwheels. I have seen this idea for folded paper decorations from multiple sources, but this was my first time trying them. Ive not read any actual directions do the whole thing, including using thin wrapping paper, was total experimentation. First, I cut a rectangle that was twice as long as it was wide. The ones I made are as long as the tune of gift wrap and half as wide.

Then I did an accordion fold, back and forth, down the entire length of the paper. I LOVED that the gift wrap had those measurements on the back to make the folding easier! Your paper should go from a long rectangle to close to a square shape.

Next, turn your accordion folded square so that the fds run vertical. Pinch it with your fingers in the center. Begin folding one side so that the two edges of the square touch. Glue the two edges together.

Now you can probably let go without the whole thing falling apart. Glue the other edges together to finish the circle shape.

I ended up with a few folds in the middle of the circle that were loose enough tho pull apart. The rest were held together just by the tension from the folds. I simply added a little more glue and everything was fine.

Because these were made from wrapping paper, they were so lightweight that I was able to use two tape loops to hold them to the wall.

If I needed pin wheels that hung from the ceiling, I would probably try using two pieces of wrapping paper sandwiched so that both sides have the design. This would make them twice as strong and a little heavier. I definitely plan on making more of these and even think I could do the folding and glue that first side ahead of time and just keep it feed like a fan until I am ready to decorate. With so many gift wrap options, the possibilities are endless!

No comments: