Friday, July 27, 2012

"Special Delivery" Newborn Photo Props

I have been collecting pieces old blue luggage for storage in my studio. A few weeks ago, I spotted this adorably small white vintage suitcase at a thrift store and something about its size gave me an idea to use the luggage in a newborn photo shoot for baby Joshua.

I needed to do a little prep work to make the old luggage camera ready. I had hoped to get to it BEFORE Joshua arrived so we would be all set for some really early newborn pictures. Joshua had other plans, so once we were both home from the hospital and after I was healed enough to climb the stairs to my studio, little man was in a sling and we were off to create some photo props.

This little box isn't really a suitcase, it's a cardboard box in suitcase style. I bought it at a thrift store to hold Lydia's tea party supplies long ago. I have been meaning to do something to hide the name "Gracie" for a year or two. When I realized it was the perfect size for this photo shoot, i decided it was time to deal with it. I thought about just spray painting the entire thing, but when I set it next to the blue and the white suitcases I LOVED it's pattern and colors. So I just needed to hide the front of the box.

I decided to cover it with scrapbook paper. I used my new Paper Mod Podge and was really happy with the results.

I finished it off with a final small rectangle of plain cream paper and plan on adding Lydia's name or monogram at some point. There was only one more project to complete.

I needed some leather looking luggage tags for my photo shoot. I planned on making them out of paper thinking that I would print the information onto white paper and then glue it to the tags. Unfortunately, I could not decide what information I wanted on the tags. I decided to make blank tags and hoped I could photo-shop in the lettering after I saw the pictures. Apparently, I forgot to take any in-progress pictures of the tags. They are just brown paper with cream paper glued to them. You can see them just behind where Joshua is sleeping in his sling.

I attached the luggage tags with some ribbon and stacked the suitcass outside. You can see all the props for our photo shoot above. Below is a sneak peak of the results of the photo-shoot. I am SO EXCITED about how these turned out and can't wait to share what I turned them into. More soon!

No comments: