When I first started planning the "3 Under the Sea" party for Lydia, I decided that we would not be dressing up in mermaid costumes or anything. I have sewn a special dress for each of her birthdays and they end up being so special to me (1st dress here, second dress here) However, I wasn't sure if I wanted something with mermaids or fish or seahorses or what. Then I saw this women's tank top shirt at a thrift store and fell in LOVE with the pattern and the colors. It was a little too small for me to wear so I thought I might turn it into a dress for Lydia. Then it hit me that it was the right color and the right feel for the start to the birthday dress.
Lydia's first birthday dress and it was the lining to her first winter coat. I used my last decent sized scraps on the trim for this dress and I am kind of sad to see it go!
It ended up being easier to plan the construction of the dress so that the crocheted trim was not structural. That meant I had to do something to stitch it on and that usually means trying to match tread colors so that they are hidden. Rather than agonize over finding the perfect color of thread, I went in the opposite direction and sewed it on with contrasting thread, creating a little more accent in the neckline. I worked the thread into the edges of the trim and every so often I just went all the way through the fabric so the decorative stitches also held the thing in place. I am so very happy with how it turned out and SO thankful that I was down to hand sewing at the point that we lost power for the four days prior to the party.