Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Sinus Surgery

I never had sinus problems and then, suddenly in January I developed a sinus infection on the left side of my face that just wouldn't go away. I was on antibiotics a few times this winter and it would help, but then the pain and pressure would return. I could usually breath through my nose, but had constant reminders that all was not well. I kept putting it off and finally decided that summer, when I was off from school, would be a good time to get it checked out. Even though I could breath fine, the doctor saw a total blockage and put me on a 3 week course of antibiotics. Two weeks into the treatment, a CT scan still showed a complete blockage, so we scheduled a surgery to open it all up and clean it all out. The surgery was Tuesday and the doctor said it was a LOT worse than he expected. He said that the lining of the sinuses is normally the thickness of a piece of paper. Mine was 100 times larger. I keep thinking about what 100 xerox copies looks like, YUCK. Even worse was the volcanic (doc's description) eruption of infection when he cut into the sinuses. Sorry about the visual, but it is stuck in my head, so now you have it too! I came through it all fine, only had to take one pain pill yesterday. I LOVE my anesthesiologist, who ever he was, because I told him how I usually vomit after surgery and he found a good dosage that kept me from getting nauseous. So, now my nose is bandaged and I feel headachy and foggy like when you have the flu. Lydia is going to daycare all week and Jen has been babysitting me. Hopefully soon I will be back to my old self, minus the Groucho Glasses!


No comments: