Sunday, August 23, 2009

Butter-mock pancakes


Due to Lydia's dairy allergy, baked goods can be tricky. So far, the brands she can eat have lots of chemicals instead of real ingredients like butter and milk, moon pies for example have not a speck of real milk, butter, or chocolate! I don't want her eating that junk all the time, so I am trying to get creatively cooking. Her daycare feeds the kids pancakes sometimes, and I can't find a pre-made pancake that is dairy free. (Lot's of chemicals, no real milk or butter, but whey keeps popping up in the ingredients.) My favorite pancake recipe calls for buttermilk and I was worried that soy just wouldn't give the same thickness to the batter. My sister gave me a great book a few years ago, The Food Lover's Companion, which features a food substitution guide. Who knew 1 cup of milk and a tablespoon of lemon juice will thicken to the consistency of buttermilk. I gave it a try with the soy milk and it looked and tasted OK. The pancakes are a really good dairy free option for Lydia at daycare.

No comments: