Monday, November 15, 2010

Advent Calender Adventures

I saw this template for advent calendar houses last year and instantly began dreaming of making my own. Of course in my dream I started on them really early so that they were finished by now! I have been looking for the right materials, because I don't really like the idea of them just being thin paper. I wanted to find more of a paper-mache style box that I could transform into a house and decorate, but it hasn't happened and now I don't have the time. My main idea was that we don't have much space that I am willing to devote to a wall advent calendar. I don't like the idea of one that sits out on a table and takes up space either. My thought with the house/boxes was that they could be hung from our tree. I liked the idea of looking for the right number house for the day and then opening it to find a surprise.

Then I saw this neat idea for writing a clue about where to find the advent treat on a wooden spool and realized that there are many more options for interesting advent adventures that don't have to fit into a box. So here I am, with very limited time, dreaming about getting together. I doubt I could get all the spools together in time for December 1, so that idea is out.

Here are my two favorite ideas after a quick search online. Martha Stewart had this cute baby sock advent calendar idea. It is supposed to use up all the misplaced socks, but I would want to go out and buy really good looking semi-matched designs, so it could get pricey! Also, we end up with SO many stockings on our fireplace, this would only work if we got rid of socks as we went and added our stockings or swapped our stockings for these on Christmas eve? Cute, but maybe to complicated for my house.
Right now this is my favorite! I love this idea from http://www.anetteshus.com/ of putting little parcels inside a suitcase. The original website is in a foreign language, so I am gleaning what I can here. I would need to find an old or old looking suitcase. Small investment there, but it could be fun to search for one. All the advent goodies could arrive on the same day along with the suitcase. Or, maybe Santa's elves bring them the night the tree gets finished. Hmmmm..... That might create some little kiddy enthusiasm for helping get the tree up. Maybe there needs to be a by-line that the tree has to be finished AND the decorating boxes etc. put away before the elves leave any packages. Or how fun would it be to check the mail periodically for new parcels to add to the case? I like the idea of not having to have it ALL figured out ahead of time, but adding to it through the month. The "packages" could be simple brown bags, old mailing envelopes, etc. Sounds simple. The suitcase could get closed and opened to reveal new packages. I feel like I have time to figure that part out. The suitcase could go under the tree or next to the fireplace for Santa or the elves to drop in the gifts. I think I am sold on the idea. Any other better ideas? Speak now or forever hold your peace!

No comments: